Underground storage is an essential part of the natural gas industry. Gas storage potential provides security of supply during high demand periods by supplementing deliveries and represents a safety measure in case of production discontinuity.
- Figure : UNDERGROUND STORAGE IN DEPLETED RESERVOIRS
The underground Gas Storage Branch Ploiesti operates the following six storages with operating pressures between 10 and 150 bar:
- BILCIURESTI, active capacity: 1,31 billion Scm/cycle;
- URZICENI, active capacity: 0,36 billion Smc/cycle;
- BALACEANCA, active capacity: 0,05 billion Smc/cycle;
- SARMASEL, active capacity: 0,95 billion Smc/cycle;
- GHERCESTI, active capacity: 0.15 billionSmc/cycle;
- CETATEA DE BALTA, active capacity: 0,1 billion Smc/cycle;
Total active capacity-2016: 2.92 billion Smc/cycle.
Increasing the underground gas storage capacity through specific works is one of Romgaz main objectives.
Romgaz priorities and objectives in the field of underground gas storage are:
- Increasing the development rate of the existing gas storage capacities;
- Developing new storages in areas with difficulties in natural gas supply during the cold season;
- Increasing gas withdrawal flexibility from a maximum flow of 22 million m3/day to 30 million m3/day.
- At the beginning of the production cycle the maximum gas quantity produced was 28 million Scm/day.
The mean average gross calorific value for the underground storage on 31.01.2015 is set out in the table below:
Cetatea de Balta